Saturday, March 1, 2014

"Well Let's Go Kick Some Honeybuns"




I have been sitting here watching Disney classics on ABC family all day.  I finally decided to write a review on one them.  So I chose Mulan.  Definetely in my top ten Disney Animated films. This movie has all the elements that makes a disney movie a classic. The story resonates with audiences as being a true testiment to courage and bravery.  As wells as breaking the mold for the role of the female character. The music while being catchy is also meaningful to anyone who watches it. Although Mulan is not the first "Disney Princesses" to break the mold (Ariel is in my opinion) she is the first Disney Princess in which her film does not focus on the relationship between her and Shang but that of her bringing honor to her family and saving her father.  





How the film impacted my life. 

I can remember when I first saw this film.  In 1998 when I was 11 (almost not cool to be seeing disney movies anymore)  it was just my mom and little sister who went to see it.  We all watched in aw as the new Disney Classic was unfolding right in front of our eyes.  All three of right away loved the film.  I believe right after seeing the movie we went to buy the CD from target.  It was a girls night for all of us and we loved it.  I really like the idea of Disney princesses being idols for young girls but Mulan may be the best Idol for young girls.  The courage, bravery and intelligence is so unlike any other Disney character. I think we should be teaching young girls this very idea!  
     After going to video, this movie became an instant classic at slumber parties.  I can remember quoting and singing all of the songs from Mulan.  This went on well into high school.  A movie we brought along with us to band camp (not to get all nerdy on you)  

Facts You May Not Know
1.Mulan was made to smooth relations  between Disney and the Chinese Governement (to learn more see the Disney Wikia) 
2. In Chinese Ping mean Pot and Fa means Flowers, so Mulans knew name is flowerpot, in China the means an "effeminate man"
3. Chi Fu translates as "to bully"
4. Lea Salonga is the singing voice for both Mulan and Jasmine from Aladdin


5. In Lilo and Stich Nani has a Mulan movie poster in her bedroom!

My Favorites!

Character: Mulan herself 
 Although not an actual Princess (by blood or by marriage) She is still a Disney Princess for very good reasons!  Mulan means magnolia blossem.
Song: Make a man out of you

Scene: Mushu "Your worst nightmare"






No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is much appreciated!